Wonder

Wonder - R.J. Palacio You can find this, and other reviews, on my blog.

Wonder was a really interesting book. This is the story of August, a young boy with severe facial abnormalities, as he goes to school for the very first time. It’s told primarily from the perspective of Auggie himself, with alternating chapters of the people closest to him, which really enhances the story as it progresses.

Full of humour and sadness in equal measures, it’s a touching and realistic look at what life is often like not only for a 10 year old finding their way, but for anyone who stands apart from the crowd for whatever reason. In Auggie’s case, it’s his physical appearance, and not everyone reacts to it well - from the people that bully him, to the parents trying to get him removed from the school. That said, there are many beautiful people that see past his appearance, and accept him whole-heartedly, and knowing that there are in fact people like that out in the world is heart warming.

Each of the 6 perspectives are completely unique, each character definitely has their own voice (which I found completely lacking in another recent read), so that was a very pleasant surprise. It deals with making friends, fitting in, bullying, coping with loss. The edition I purchased includes a chapter written later, from Julian’s perspective, and to be perfectly honest, this chapter really takes away from the overall story. I don’t want to give too much away, but I definitely think that including it was unnecessary, and left me feeling like some of the events that happened were justifiable (which, in my opinion, they weren’t).

Still, this is a fantastic book with something for everyone, and I would definitely, definitely recommend it.