Dragon Haven

Dragon Haven - Robin Hobb Dragon Haven is book 2 in the Rain Wild Chronicles (or if you count from the beginning of the Farseer Trilogy, 11th in Realms of the Elderlings). It continues where The Dragon Keeper leaves off, as dragon's keep going in their search for Kelsingra.

As most of Hobb's books, this one is well written and engaging right from the beginning. The tension between many of the characters is balanced beautifully, although some of Thymara and Sintara's griping gets a little tedious. Sexuality (or lack thereof) is handled very well throughout the book, which is a pleasant change from a lot of other books.

Watching Alise in particular grow throughout the book is great, and she's one of my favourite characters since the Farseer/Liveship Traders trilogies, but if you compared her to the heroines from either series, she comes up a little short. No one will ever match Althea or Malta, I'm afraid, but that doesn't take away from the depth of Alise's character.

Sedric grows the most throughout the book, as he comes to terms with some hard truths about himself. He's still not one of my favourite characters, but I like him an awful lot more than I did at the beginning.

Dragon Haven wraps up all the relevent plot points, which is a nice change after the abrupt ending of The Dragon Keeper, and I'm quite looking forward to the next two in the series.